Another close call…

I have been putting off doing the binding on the latest quilt for two reasons:

1. I have had a nasty cold, and haven’t done much of anything for the last four days.

2. I cut the borders lengthwise, just because I had enough fabric to do it that way. Except (ahem..) I cut one of the border strips too short, and had to cut an extra lengthwise strip: five 6 1/2″ strips instead of four. This left me with one lengthwise piece that was 4 1/2 ” wide, plus the piece that I cut too short. I didn’t cut off half a yard for binding before I cut the strips….. you can see where this is going, can’t you? I wasn’t sure I had enough fabric left for the binding, and it is lengthwise binding at that!

Now that I’m feeling marginally better I decided I would tackle it. My excuse for quilting rather than doing homework is that I still can’t think my way out of a paper bag, so I had to do something that required minimal brainpower. I cut my (lengthwise) binding 2 1/4″ instead of my usual 2 1/2″, since that is the only way I could get two strips out of the 4 1/2″ wide piece. Used all of my remaining fabric that was wide enough.  I sewed on the binding, with three feet to spare! Woohoo! The lengthwise cut gave me a little resistance, but not as much as I was afraid it would. Picked up a dumb movie to watch later, and I’ll do the hand sewing then. It’s been awhile since I have been this excited to give away one of my quilts – I know it’s going to the right person!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Quilting. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s